Law firm in Paris : May a Civil Union be concluded abroad?

May a Civil Union be concluded abroad?

A French person resident abroad who wishes to conclude a civil union with another French or foreign person must make a joint declaration at the embassy or the Consulate of the common place of residence.

The PACS (civil union) recorded at the consulate of France shall be subject to French law insofar as the law applicable to this partnership is the law of the registration authority.

After the registration, the formalities of advertisement will be conducted with specific mention made in margin of the birth certificate of each partner on the existence of this PACS.

Warning: in France, the PACS does not grant any right of succession to the partner in an automatic manner.  The partners anxious to protect themselves in case of death, should contact their notary to consider testamentary provisions